A to Z of Mental Health (#atozofmentalhealth) is a series dedicated to initiate conversations about mental health issues. You can find the campaign here.
A lot of people who experience mental health issues struggle with sleep. They either sleep too much or do not sleep at all. And even when some of us manage to fall asleep, the sleep is fraught with nightmares of some kind. I have struggled with sleep a lot. But there are a few things that have helped me through the years:
- Stick to a schedule. Pick up a time range to go to bed and fall asleep. Try to follow it as much as possible. You don’t have to pick up a particular time, say 9pm, but pick a range,say 11-12 pm. Once you start following the schedule, your body will get used to it and it will become a routine.
- Journal before sleeping. If there is something that is bothering you or there are a lot of things that are going through your mind, it is essential to get it out of you. You can either talk to a friend or journal. It will help free your mind.
- You could also follow a nighttime ritual. It generally consists of 2-3 steps. The idea is to get your mind used to a ritual which would prepare the brain the sleep.
- Try different things that might help you fall asleep. Some people like to listen to their favorite music and some like to practice meditation. Aromatherapy helps a lot of people too. Figure out what works best for you.
- And the most cliched advice would be to stay away from mobile and laptop. It is very basic but the most difficult to follow.
To find out more about the campaign, follow my instagram account.